Monday, November 19, 2012

Initial Acknowledgements and Partners.

Why would someone with a very small amount of woodworking experience try to build a very complex musical instrument?

That is an excellent question. It is true. I don't have a lot of experience with woodworking. But I have enough experience to general woodworking practices. I also know enough to know that I need help working on this project.

So I will be working with one main mentor and another of my friends who has woodworking experience.

My mentor of sorts is John Michael Smith. He is a professional luthier who works repairing instruments from upright basses to violins. He is immensely skilled and I am very honored to be working with him. You can find his website here.

I will also be working with my friend Cameron Christian, of Gray Goose Bows. He is a skilled Bowyer
and will be another value resource.

There is a third person who I would like to thank, and Kate Williams of Unprofitable Instruments. She is an instrument maker who builds medieval instruments such as rebecs, trumpet marines and citols. I visited her shop in early October and got to play her gurdy! She was also very helpful and helped get me thinking along the right paths.

The hurdy-gurdy she owns is a simple one, with just one chanter, one row of keys and two drone strings. Still a lovely instrument.







No comments:

Post a Comment