Monday, November 19, 2012

Wood selection

Two weeks ago on a Friday I went with Cameron to Young blood lumberyard to start looking at woods.

This is an amazing place. The selection is awesome there is such a wonderful variety of woods available here.

I looked mainly at walnut for the body of my gurdy. Cameron does have a plank of Honduras mahogany that I will likely be using for the sides of the sound box. I will be getting some more mahogany for the rest of the sound box.

I am currently planning on building the key box out of walnut. I think the contrast between the two will make for a nice finished product.

For smaller pieces, the handle, bridges ect. I am thinking of using ebony. The contrast generated from this variety I think will look brilliant.

I have some pictures of the lumberyard below.




No comments:

Post a Comment